Sunday 7 September 2008

linking word


-CONTRAST:
<http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/cae/students/writing/linking/contrast.htm>
It is not difficult as i thought. My perfect score:8/8. Or this is an easy exercise, isn't it?

- ADDITION:
<http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/cae/students/writing/linking/addition.htm>

1
I overslept this morning. ........ , my car ran out of petrol on the way to work.
Not only that X
Furthermore X


4
........ the wonderful main meal we also had a delicious pudding.
In addition to X
Besides X

My score is 6 out of 8. I also study more about informal and formal language. For example, 'not only that' using in everyday conversation, but 'furthermore' is more formal and used in written.

- CAUSE AND RESULT:
<http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/cae/students/writing/linking/result.htm>

1. The accident happened because of terrible weather.
The accident ........ bad weather. (RESULT)
--> was a result of --> was the result of/happened as a result of

2. The train was cancelled so I missed my appointment
......... the cancellation I missed my appointment. (CONSEQUENCE)
--> The consequence of --> As a consequence of

3. They decided to buy a new car because of the problems they were having with their old one.
They decided to buy a new car ........ problems with their old one. (SINCE)
--> since the time of
--> since they had been having / since they were having / since they had had

4. We were unable to contact you as communications were so poor.
We couldn't contact you ........ communications were so poor. (OWING)
--> because our owning --> owing to the fact that

5. You have been late every morning this week so we have deducted the lost time from your wages.
We have deducted money from your wages ........ you have been late every morning this week.(DUE)
--> due to the fact is that --> due to the fact that

6. I was sent home from school because I was feeling sick.
The student was sent home ........ the fact that he was feeling sick. (ACCOUNT)
--> accountant into--> on account of

7. It was too far to walk so we caught the bus.
We got the bus as ........ to walk. (ENOUGH)
--> as not enough close --> it wasn't near enough / it was not near enough

8. The film was so boring that we decided to leave early
......... we decided to leave early. (SUCH)
--> what such a boring film -->It was such a boring film

This is a very difficult exercise i have ever done. I didn't have any right answers. Neverthless, i suggest that exercise because it is good for your academic writing style.



- TIME:
<http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/cae/students/writing/linking/time.htm>

1
........ I didn't really enjoy the course, but after a while I really started to enjoy it.
In the beginning X
At the beginning X

2
........ of the film the main character arrives in town looking for somewhere to stay.
In the beginning
At the beginning X X


3
We waited ages for a bus. ........ we decided to walk home.
Eventually X
At last X


4
The audience waited patiently for the delayed performance to start. ........ the curtain rose.
Lastly X
At last X


8
I played a lot of tennis ........ I was on holiday.
during X
while X

I got 3 out of 8. I still don't know why i am wrong. What is the different betwwen 'lastly' and 'at last', 'during' and 'while', 'eventually'?



No comments: